Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Test Results

Last week I went back to Guys hospital to get back the results from the blood tests and swabs taken last time.
My sister was working and although she had offered to take the day off work to come with me I thought there was no need for her to use a day’s holiday and I wasn't worried about the results anyway... That is until I was on the train and started to think about it.

Thinking is one of my worse habits. I had a vague panic that if something was found I would be on my own and who could get to me quickest. I decided on my dad who could reach me from his work in about half an hour. This calmed down my irrational fear for about 10 minutes until I remembered he is on holiday about 10 hours plane flight away! DUH!

Of course the results came back fine. Obviously if my sis had been there I'd be able to remember everything I was tested for as she's the one with the memory. From what I can remember I was tested for a range of STI's among other things. And also for immunity to a respiratory infection which isn't normally a problem but is better if the donor and the person receiving the eggs (donee?) match in their immunity or non-immunity to it.

I also had to fill in a lot of forms (including consent forms, description of me forms and forms for the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority - HFEA). The HFEA forms were interesting as I had to say if I was willing to be approached to have my eggs used for experiments and if my eggs could be used for teaching purposes. I hadn't thought about anything further than giving my eggs to a couple and some of the questions sounded a little scary and I had visions of my eggs being used in any number of weird ways. The doctor explained that not all of my eggs will fertilise and these would otherwise be discarded and I would be approached before any experiments to see if I agreed (I suppose ethically and morally). She also explained that when the doctors are learning about how to do these processes they prefer to learn on eggs that aren't viable and therefore very precious - which is obviously very sensible.

The doctor was incredibly lovely and explained everything in clear (but not patronising) way. It was a really positive experience again. I can't imagine anyone in my situation feeling negatively about any of the adventures or people I've come across. When I think about it all it makes me feel all cosy and empowered at the same time!

However looking back over this entry I think I might have started making up words so I know it is time to sleep!


Sweet dreams

Fairy Princess Mummy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment