Powered By Blogger

Friday 8 July 2011

My baby is growing up!

It has been quite an emotional week this week as my eldest princess starts school in September.  It has all come around so quickly and I half expected (or hoped?) that this wouldn’t ever happen.  However, I am aware that this is very much MY issue!  She is soooo excited and has been talking about school since last September when her older friends from nursery went.   It shouldn’t be a big deal really as she has been going to nursery full time since she was about 7 months old – but to be honest that doesn’t seem that long ago.

Yesterday I took a couple of hours off work and picked her up early from nursery and went to meet her new teacher.  She had a good look around her new classroom, met Miss B and got to ask any questions about starting school.  I think Miss B is going to be a great teacher for Ellie.  I really liked the way she interacted with her and took the time to talk to her.  It was a bit of relief to go and see the school again and feel more comfortable with how she’s going to settle in.  I also took her to the after school club she is going to go.  Again, I’m very happy with her going there and the ladies who run it are lovely and helpful.
I’m very lucky that Princess Ellie wants to go to school so I am not having to reassure her about it but here is how I have tried (or will try) to make it an easy transition for her.
-          If I did it again I would have taken her to the open day but as it wasn’t our first choice I didn’t worry too much about it.
-          When we found out what school she had got in to I drove her past it and pointed it out to her.
-          After the new parents meeting I told her all about it and how lovely it was.
-          When I did the visit with her (explained above) I made it a special afternoon.  I made sure it was just the two of us (if hubbie had been able to come then we probably would have brought the baby princess but I wanted to make sure as much attention as possible could be focused on Ellie).  After the visit we took her out for hot chocolate so she could tell her daddy all about it.
-          Before we left the school and the after school club I made sure that Ellie had the chance to ask her teachers any questions.
-          Just before she starts school I’ll take her out for another special day to buy her uniform and school bag, etc. and she can help lay everything out the night before she starts.
-          If we decide that she is going to have packed lunch then we will probably go for lots of picnics so she can practice opening her lunch box and getting in to the packaging on her own.

The BBC website has an advice page as well that is really nice and gives sensible advice. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/child_development/primary_starting.shtml)
Happy days
Fairy Princess Mummy
xx

1 comment:

  1. Cant believe my little niece is starting school. She is so grown up. You're a great mummy doing all that with her, don't think I would have thought of all that x x

    ReplyDelete